Who is George Hamilton?
With George Hamilton Day coming up on August 4, we thought it would be fun to share some facts about Hamilton’s founder, George Hamilton:
- George Hamilton was born in October 1788 in Queenston Heights, Ontario
- He was a Canadian merchant and politician
- He served during the War of 1812
- In January 1815, he bought the Durand Farm, which became the first section of Hamilton
- He constructed the design of the town, and is said to have shaped it to benefit his private fortunes
- He died on February 20, 1836 and though his tombstone is in Hamilton Cemetery, his body is buried in the family plot in Mountainside Park in Burlington, Ontario