Who is George Hamilton?
Listen to this post
With George Hamilton Day coming up on August 4, we thought it would be fun to share some facts about Hamilton’s founder, George Hamilton:
- George Hamilton was born in October 1788 in Queenston Heights, Ontario
- He was a Canadian merchant and politician
- He served during the War of 1812
- In January 1815, he bought the Durand Farm, which became the first section of Hamilton
- He constructed the design of the town, and is said to have shaped it to benefit his private fortunes
- He died on February 20, 1836 and was buried in his family cemetery, but his remains were later relocated to the Hamilton Cemetery on York Boulevard.
This post was edited on July 14, 2020 to be more accurate and up-to-date.